Monday, January 19, 2009

Reminisicing New York City


Since early morning today I was lost in my thoughts which took me back in time to the day before Thanksgiving 08' when I went to New York City for the first time in my life.Many people have asked me"What is it about New York ,you like so much.Its a crowd congested city".This is very difficult to explain to a person who hasn't been born and brought up in a city.Yes,nature's creations are very beautiful.Springs and brooks,the beauty of the fall when leaves turn red,lush green pastures,everything is fine.Do I like them?Yes I do.Would I want to live amongst them? No ,not for more than a couple of days.It is exceedingly boring if you have been born and brought up in a big city to live even in a small town.That is the reason why NYC fascinates me so much.Perhaps its not me alone as many of my friends who love NYC also feel the same way."Wow,what a city,I wish I could live here".
The journey began on a chilly day with the temperature nearing zero degrees Celsius.I caught the NJ transit from New Brunswick and arrived at a crowded Penn station in New York.The moment I stepped out from the Penn Station,it was an extraordinary feeling .I was feeling a bit out of place in Manhattan with almost everyone wearing a topcoat or a peacoat.So I entered into a store to buy myself a topcoat ,which gave me a great feeling.Shopping in New York can be an amazing experience.Times Square,Broadways,Madame Tussuad's wax museum,one can go on and on.New York has an amazing culture whether it is fashion,the variety of cuisine, art ,theater or jazz music .The public transportation system in New York is excellent and the people are very helpful and friendly towards tourists.
Statue of liberty!!Thats what most foreigners associate USA with.It was amazing to see the statue of liberty,though I must say it is the glamor associated with New York that I will remember it most for.After having lived in a small town in India for the past 4 yrs and now living in a small town in US,my occasional trips to a big city whether it is Bangalore in India or New York in US,I get an immense satisfaction.Oh yes,I would love to live amongst the crowd and the broadways,the restaurants,pubs,shopping malls ,street food and glamor,and that is why I love big cities amongst which New York takes the cake.
So yeah,I love New York,Viva New York!!!

No comments: